Monday, June 29, 2009

Where to begin?

We all have to begin somewhere right? The funny story is I have always enjoyed reading, especially those books you can't put down, but have never imagined writing. A good book is something that draws you in to where you are the main character in the story, you see, smell, hear, and taste everything around you. Twilighters know what I'm talking about. Yes, I will admit this is where my inspiration to write began. Hey, it has to start from somewhere.
So now the big question is ---- Where do I start? The answer was simple enough, open the laptop and start typing away. That's what I did, and now I have an 82,000 word manuscript. I have to tell you; writing is fun, editing is not. After 3 months of writing and another month or two re-reading it and making necessary changes, It really started to bore me.
The worst part of the scenario is I have no writing background what so ever, sure I passed English with flying colors. It was my favorite subject. But somehow I failed to grasp proper punctuation which makes editing just a tad bit difficult. So needless to say I had to turn towards the direction of my online friends, which you guys are wonderful by the way, to help me carry on.
So, with my manuscript near completion; I start the process of the Query letter. Which is more difficult than writing the 82,000 word manuscript. I am on my third draft right now, which the other two have been critiqued by publishing authors, and would never make the cut. So my journey continues into the harsh world of writing..........

No comments:

Post a Comment